Log of the SPACESHIP
17 November 1999
Wednesday: Anchored in Admiralty Bay, Bequia, St. Vincent
Lenny has been building since 991114 south of Cuba. Lenny is predicted to move east below Cuba, then Dom Rep, cross P.R. Our engine is partly apart waiting for parts We went out for lobster pizza last night at 4:15 this morning swells are starting to come around the corner we are hanging on the bulwagga anchor with 120' of chain very little wind here, just swells from the hurricane 300 miles away reports put Lenny moving east, but should cross Puerto Rico. Pistachio, Bob Law's catamaran, is pitching and plunging we are plunging and rolling. We are too close to shore Rudolph comes in dinghy to put out 45 lb. anchor to hold us offshore we are grateful and think we are safe we empty 4 buckets of fresh water that slosh around the cockpit then the swells become larger and very dangerous young man boards out to Pistachio swims back to dock he runs up Schooner's dock to shore just before the dock washes away, Pistachio is leaving, swell breaks under her, she is almost airborne. Ferry and tugboats boats are leaving the town dock to anchor out green water swamps us, salt water on bimini top, 4" in cockpit, one bucket full of salt water, another half full (see wuc notes) Taxi #1 with Glen comes and offers to help us. We pull 45 lb anchor up onto deck and Taxi tries to tow us out. we let out more chain on bulwagga but are still to close to shore we slip the bulwagga & 300' chain; Taxi tows us into deep 60' water dinghy painter broke, Glen told us our dinghy had gone ashore Ed and Glen put danforth and 35lb anchor over on one rode swells are breaking where they come from 40' to 15' depths 12 foot swells are continually breaking where we were anchored surf is spraying upward 30 feet when swells hit the shore wall swells break into/onto the shallow part, deep preshallow is safer swells are breaking around the point and rolling to Schooners restaurant along the shore swells are breaking in front and in back of us, but in 60' water, we just roll GENTLY people on shore carry our dinghy behind Schooner's stone wall Ferry from St. Vincent anchors out with people still on board 12:30 squall line, a blast, then we face sw,w,w,nw Ed discovers double anchor rode splice unraveled, lost two anchors put chaffing hose on anchor rode with hose clamp Moved lunch hook anchor to bow, but 45lb is really our last hope Wendy asked if Ed could put engine together with what we have, yes. Lenny refuses to turn NE and carries on toward St. Croix Lenny's winds increase to 130g160, strong cat 4, storm of century we swing at anchor between 60' and 25', little or no wind Ed puts engine together, heat exchanger, hoses, clamps Engine runs fine: good exhaust, salt water pump dripping in bilge! Now WE know we can motor out of trouble, but if anchor rode fails we would have to motor out and heave to. Night is falling and more sailboats are coming in from the north swells breaking on both sides of bay entrance and on all shores there's a constant roar in the air water is deep down the middle to us, no breakers here, just swells sloop comes in, anchor down, drifts, anchor not touching bottom he moves to better location and holds, man pees over rail for 3 min. Pistachio comes in and anchors east of us in shallow water. well onto shallows is okay, just onto shallows is dangerous French catamaran comes in, anchors upbreeze of us, nuisance all night night might have been relaxing but we had to watch him all night sky clears some and first quarter moon shines on huge white breakers boat mast top anchor lights look like a swarm of fireflies darting Ed: if wall along the shore by Schooners stands up he gives credit WE take two hour watches and feel sorry for our friends on Molasses in P.R.
991118 Thursday: 7:30 in the morning swelling has reduced to 6 feet Lenny's forward motion slowing to 3 kts. over Saba Not out Anegada passage but over Saba looking at St. Martin French catamaran ups anchor without tripping our anchor Breakfast of softboiled eggs and marmalade bread. Wendy to bed after 4:00 7:30 vigil, and listening to MadMax Ferry boats are still anchored out and show no sign of moving in Tug is way out, has pushed empty barge around all night Dinghy appears to be safe beside Schooners under another dinghy shore wall gone, part of road gone, cinder block wall lying in road Schooners seawall gone, our dinghy behind big tank people are walking the waterfront in a daze 16:00 Ferry goes in to town dock, two more go in, but none to StV Caribbean net at 16:30 says Culebra okay. we hear that airport road in St.Martin washed out by advance waves 18:00 we have dinner and listen to radio stations 991119 Friday: We are fine. Swelling down to 3 feet Lost 3 anchors and dinghy broke loose and washed ashore, but okay SPACESHIP survived with no damage. We'll retrieve dinghy today and anchor when the water clears.
Click here to return to Log Index